Anonymous Was a Botanist: The Iris

In upcoming blog entries I’m going to pair my photographs of flowers with botanical illustrations created by women who were both amateur botanists and early natural history painters (whom you’ve probably never heard of).  

Because I use flower photographs in my larger compositions, I rarely feature them as stand-alone images. This gives me the opportunity to share them alongside the work of other women whom I admire and have been influenced by.





Blue Iris (Germanica) Caterpillar and Red Backed Beetle, Barbara Regina Dietzsch, 18th Century.



Blue Iris and Butterfly,  Louise d'Orleans,  ca. 1820




Iris Hortensis Latifolia, Maria Sibylla Merian, 1713


Iris, Lady Harriet Anne Thiselton Dyer, 1854-1945


Irises, Jane Webb Loudon, 1807-1858































Newer Post Older Post

    Share This

0 comments:

Post a Comment